The current program can be found here.
Crossing Borders, Teaching China Competence” 23rd Conference of the Fachverband Chinesisch e. V.(FaCh, Association of Chinese language teachers in German speaking Countries)
at the Centre for Asian Studies and Transcultural Studies (CATS), University of Heidelberg
11 April – 13 April 2024
In Europe, China is often considered one of the great challenges of our times. It is therefore crucial to motivate an interest in China and the Chinese language. Especially at a time when communication with China is difficult, those who learn Chinese, who acquire and transmit knowledge about China, can help build bridges. China literacy encompasses the ability to engage in informed transcultural translation. Doing that requires a tolerance for ambiguity and a capacity for dialogue — even in the face of conflict. This involves a willingness to cross and break down borders time and again. This conference sets out to challenge established boundaries with regard to China, and to present innovative teaching concepts to build “China competency” which might serve as examples for how to teach global competencies.
- China competence includes linguistic and cultural competencies: how can we overcome the cleardistinction between language teaching and the teaching of the histories/geographies/cultures of China? How can translations of original language sources build bridges for teaching other subjects?
- China competence denotes the ability to understand the Sinophone world at large. How do we approach different linguistic varieties, how do we incorporate the teaching of traditional or simplified characters, how do we integrate different teaching and research traditions?
- The meaning of China competence is changing in the digital age: can we make creative use of this fact by removing dividing lines between analogue and digital teaching?
- China competence is the ability to approach China critically: how can cognitive and affective teaching and learning strategies be used for the successful acquisition of Chinese and China literacy?
- China competence must be taught in a target group-oriented manner: in developing textbook materials, how do we deal with different school types and age groups (pre-school and primary school, school/extracurricular teaching, vocational school teaching, university teaching)?
Interested colleagues are invited to submit proposals for lectures or workshops on one of the following (or other related) topics.
Call for Papers:
You can find the Call for Papers on the following page and directly via the linked documents:
Please send any queries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fachverband Chinesisch e.V.
- Centre for Asian and Transcultural Studies CATS
- Confucius Instiute Heidelberg
Accomodation in Heidelberg - Close to the city center and old town
Bergheimer Str. 24
(Please note: No breakfast served.)
The Heidelberg Exzellenz Hotel
Rohrbacher Str. 29
Bergheimer Str. 6
Accomodation in Heidelberg - Close to the train station
StayCity Aparthotels Heidelberg
Speyerer Str. 7-9
sevenDays Hotel BoardingHouse
Eppelheimer Straße 14